Monday, October 10, 2011

Phrasal Verbs

So we're going to try to learn about five things this week:
  1. infinitives and gerunds
  2. tenses
  3. prepositions
  4. phrasal verbs
  5. idioms
We chose phrasal verbs for today.  What are they? 

Well really they are like any other verb which can change meanings.  We used the example of play.
Play guitar is different to play XBox, which is different to play dead, which is also different to play chess, different to play your brother... meaning to fool him.

Phrasal verbs actually make it easier to understand what the speaker means.  They provide more context.

We talked about a game playing out or a conflict playing out meaning a the game or conflict stopping because it had exhausted its own energy.

Out is often used for the end of something unreal or temporary or which is finishing, but not always.

We listened to this video to see if we could find some phrasal verbs.





On this video we heard some interesting things that might be classified as "phrasal verbs" or might not.

Which one is a phrasal verb from these which we heard?
I grew up with my grandparents.
I think you should check it out.
We wanted to save money on food.
My children are currently addicted to croissants.

Pronunciation:
We talked about "upspeak" noted the interesting thing that something that happens in a lot of English accents... the lack of final - t and - d sounds.  Remember how Khalid heard the first man say FOO- instead of FOOD.  That's very typical in and around New York City.  You might hear me do the same.  It's not that it's perfect, but if you can hear it- and accept it -you will be a better listener. 


That's what we did.




3 comments:

  1. Hi John.
    After a very busy day in my office, reading letters, answering e-mail, preparing slides for next meeting in Malawi, where I'm going to speak about the FMSI Foundation (http://www.fmsi-onlus.org/)next Monday - ALL EN ENGLISH, of course!!! - I've just had a look to your blog: how many new things today! I've listened very carefully the video, but unfortunately I've lost the comments and classroom activities about frasal verbs, idioms and other interesting things that I glimpsed on the board ... Anyway, I'll try to follow you to take advantage of your everyday proposals...
    Greetings from Rome.
    Mario

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mario believe it or not I'm still in Ireland, taking advantage of every moment to learn English ... it's great that you follow the classes through this page...Also I hope your meeting in Malawi has been a success, by the way the Hermanos Maristas de la Enseñanza,do an amazing job my congratulations ( I read the link that you attached) ... I hope I can see you when you'll go to Spain and share with you some of the job that you are making.
    So continues to follow the daily summaries cause them will be provides tools for the English as you know John W, is absolutely brilliant in that.

    Regards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mario I could have sworn I'd written back to you but it isn't here so Massi got here first.

    ReplyDelete