Monday, October 3, 2011

Day TWO: Video

Today we are going to focus on our use gerunds and infinitives.

There are at least 6 rules which will help you always have a good idea about which one is right.

Some words can use either with no real difference.
 "Like" + {to -infinitive} OR  "Like" + {gerund} ~ Both are the same really in speech and writing.

Some verbs will naturally lead to another meaning.
I stopped (the action that I was doing) to check Facebook.
vs.
I stopped checking Facebook.  (I  switched to Twitter because I was sick of Mark Zuckerberg spying on me-or Google+).

http://mmeuti.blogspot.com/ (Mario) has a link to http://www.englishpage.com/gerunds/index.htm which is all about Gerunds and Infinitives.

Check out this video
http://www.englishcentral.com/video/11133/meetings-making-decisions

task
How many times are Gerund and Infinitive rules shown working in their English?
What are the reasons they use the Gerunds or Infinitives here?

actions

  1. Write a list of the instances of Gerunds and Infinitives with your partners. 
  2. Then each of you takes one instance at least and finds the reason the English use it there instead of the opposite.  
  3. Write up the reasons and find a website to back up your reason or create your own explanation.
  4. Find a video or song or text which illustrates this.
  5. Post your the link to my video, your explanation and illustration to your blog. 
  6. Email me the link to that blog entry.






No comments:

Post a Comment